Iron fences have a timeless quality, classic and stately. Perhaps that’s because they’ve been around seemingly forever, and we’ve all seen them surrounding elegant homes and large properties throughout our lifetimes. How long have they really been around? Let’s take a moment to consider their history.
Wrought iron fences have been around for hundreds of years. In fact, the use of wrought iron for fencing began in the 12th century in Europe. The first American forge was established in Massachusetts in 1644 at the Saugus Ironworks, which made both wrought iron and cast iron. Wrought iron fencing really took off in larger cities in the United States in the 18th century, with cities like Charleston and Savannah boasting beautiful wrought iron fences and railing. New Orleans has gorgeous ironwork as well, but most of it is cast iron, often shipped from Spain.
What is the difference between wrought iron and cast iron? Cast iron has a higher carbon content than wrought iron and is cast in a mold. Wrought iron is more pliable, and so it is worked by hand. Wrought simply means worked, so it could also be known as worked iron.
During the 19th century, steel passed iron in terms of architectural metal, but by the turn of the 20th century, wrought iron was enjoying a resurgence of popularity. With new and more sophisticated tools at their disposal, the wrought-iron craftsmen of this time made more complex designs than had been seen before. The result was some of the most beautiful ironwork ever produced in America, and it’s still in use today on many historic properties.
Today, the term wrought iron is still used, but it’s difficult to find a traditional wrought iron craftsman. While wrought iron used to be shaped and designed by hand, machines have now taken over the production of wrought iron fences. The term wrought iron has, therefore, become somewhat erroneous, and now simply applies to ornamental fence design. It’s also called ornamental iron, and is very popular.
Iron fences are versatile and can be customized to meet the needs of the property owner. They can be ornate or simple, and provide not only security but also curb appeal. They’re also extremely durable and require very little maintenance.
If you’re interested in having an iron fence installed, you can trust A-1 Fence to get the job done right and stand behind our work. We’re a locally owned and operated company with more than 40 years of experience, committed to providing fast and efficient work with a personalized feel. We’re fully licensed, bonded, and insured, and are proud of our reputation for quality work. For more information or a free estimate, contact us through our website or call 408-824-1693.
If you’re shopping for a fence, iron is an excellent choice. Beautiful, durable, and pest resistant, the right iron fence, properly installed, will last you for decades. It’s important to make sure you’re getting a quality product from a company that stands behind its work, so consider these factors before you buy.
- Rust protection is vital. Rust can be a problem for iron fences that aren’t well-protected. Some companies are vague about their rust protection, or use a thin, somewhat ineffective coating. Galvanization is the best way to protect iron and steel from rust, so ask your fence company if they galvanize their iron fences and which technique they use.
- Check out the production. Inspect the fence, to see that it’s strong and looks good from all sides. Pickets should go through the punched rail, and the intersection should be fully welded, providing a strong connection and clean look. When companies cut corners, using rivets or screws to connect the pickets to the rails, it can result in a weaker, looser, connection, and scratches that create rust spots.
- Pay attention to the hardware. Little things make a big difference, and nowhere is this truer than in fence hardware. Small elements like brackets, post caps, and decorative finials, done carelessly, can make an iron fence look cheap. When manufacturers skimp, using stamp steel for their brackets and post caps, the hardware can be ill-fitting and inauthentic looking, cheapening the look of the fence. Finials are sometimes made of poor-quality materials like aluminum or plastic, which may need to be glued or pressed on. Cast iron finial tips, welded onto the picket, are a much better option.
- Mind the gates. Don’t choose a company with poor gate construction. Gates need to be able to support their own weight and any additional pressure put on them. It’s not enough to just weld two posts to the end of a fence section to create a gate: even though it might be functional, it won’t be very strong. A better option is a fully boxed and welded gate frame, solid and 3-sided to withstand pressure without becoming damaged.
- Understand the warranty. Download your warranty and read it, but ask questions, too. You need to know how warranty claims are handled and what can void your warranty, in addition to knowing the length of time it covers.
When you’re shopping for an iron fence, be sure to ask questions and make a point to see pictures of the work the company has already done. If you’re looking for a company that stands behind their work, you can trust A-1 Fence. We’re a locally owned and operated company with more than 40 years of experience, committed to providing fast and efficient work with a personalized feel. We’re fully licensed, bonded, and insured, and are proud of our reputation for quality work. For more information or a free estimate, contact us through our website or call 408-824-1693.
Iron fences are beautiful and can make a bold statement. They’re also durable, pest-resistant, and able to stand up to fierce weather. If you’re considering an iron fence, though, you might have concerns about whether it will be a good security fence.
In short, yes. Iron fences may, in fact, be the best security fence you can buy. Let’s look at some of the benefits they offer.
- They’re strong. Iron fences are made of iron and steel, so breaking through them is very difficult. In fact, anyone wanting to get through an iron fence would need to bring heavy-duty tools, especially if it’s a higher-end fence.
- They’re hard to climb. With open construction and rails spaced fairly far apart, iron fences make it difficult for someone to gain enough traction to climb them. If the fence has finial tips, those will further discourage climbing.
- They are well-constructed. Iron fences are welded into one solid piece, which means that even if someone could figure out how to get through your fence, the fence would make a lot of noise and prevent them from entering quietly.
- They make it easy to see. It’s helpful when you’re securing a property, to be able to see clearly and know what’s going on. Iron fences have an open design that offers clear visibility so that no one trying to gain entrance onto your property can hide behind the fence. With clear sightlines, iron fences make it easy for you to see an intruder from inside, and for people on the street to see the intruder even if he or she should manage to get onto the wrong side of the fence.
- They’re aesthetically pleasing as well as protective. Iron fences actually increase the curb appeal of a house, giving it a more upscale look. An ugly fence can be an eyesore, and even an attractive fence can lose its luster over time without the right maintenance. Iron doesn’t require much maintenance and will continue to have a sophisticated look for many years.
If you need to protect your property, it may be time to install an iron fence. When you’re ready to have it installed, you can trust A-1 Fence to get the job done right and stand behind our work. We’re a locally owned and operated company with more than 40 years of experience, committed to providing fast and efficient work with a personalized feel. We’re fully licensed, bonded, and insured, and are proud of our reputation for quality work. For more information or a free estimate, contact us through our website or call 408-824-1693.
Owning a home is the American dream. One of the many benefits of homeownership is the ability to customize your property any way you wish—as long as it’s in compliance with local codes, of course. You’ve probably patched and painted your home once or twice, but are you really getting the most out of your property? Take a step outdoors and consider whether your curb appeal needs some work. An ornamental iron fence could be what your yard needs to make it stand out from the rest of the neighborhood.
The Beauty of Ornamental Iron
If you’re looking to break free from the “sameness” of the properties in your neighborhood, then an iron fence is the perfect choice for you. Ornamental iron can be custom-designed to your preferences. The fencing company will evaluate your property and explain your recommended options for beautifying your property. Your wrought iron fence can be as ornate or simplistic as you prefer. Iron fences usually feature ornate details along the top and sometimes in the middle. Some iron fences are comprised of stylistic designs throughout the entire structure. Any design you choose will instantly evoke the aesthetics of a formal estate or manor home.
The Practicality and Functionality of Ornamental Iron
Nothing beats ornamental iron for durability. The strong metal lasts for generations, and withstands severe weather well. It’s also a practical fencing choice, since little maintenance is required to keep it looking like new.
The Effect of Ornamental Iron on Your Property Value
Curb appeal is a point of pride with homeowners. It’s also a matter of finances. The more appealing a home is, the higher a price it will fetch. Even if you aren’t planning to put your home on the market , boosting its curb appeal with beautiful iron fencing will increase its value.
When you’re ready to improve your home’s value and curb appeal, give A-1 Fence Inc . a call at (408) 259-2955. Our company is known for elegant fence designs for both residential and commercial properties. We’ll work closely with you to ensure that your wrought iron fence project in San Jose exceeds your expectations.
As many homeowners know, having a wrought iron fence in San Jose can increase the curb appeal of a home. A wrought iron fence can add a unique touch to your home, and your garden. There are some key factors to keep in mind when landscaping around your iron fence.
Watch this video for expert tips on landscaping around your wrought iron fence. It is important to design your landscape around your fence. For instance, if your wrought iron fence is large and sturdy, larger trees and shrubs are more ideal. When maintaining your landscaping, it is also a good time to inspect your fence for any needed maintenance.
While there are many different types of fencing that you can install around the perimeter of your home, an ornamental iron fence is a great choice for a variety of reasons. The iron fence has been around since the Industrial Revolution and has become a staple of many Victorian style homes. Any home can benefit from an ornamental iron fence in San Jose. Here are some of the advantages of having one.
The iron fence has become one of the most popular types of fencing because it is available is so many different styles. You can purchase an iron fence that includes just about any fence designs and, if you’re willing to pay for it, you can even customize one specifically for your home.
When you put up an iron fence, you probably won’t have to worry about putting up another fence for as long as you own your home. If you are willing to properly care for and maintain an iron fence, it will last you for many years. Other fences may not hold up well under certain weather conditions, but an iron fence will stand the test of time regardless of the climate.
Other types of fences are easy to climb over, cut, or even knock down. Ornamental iron fences are designed to keep intruders out . If security is a concern you have, an iron fence can ease your troubled mind.
The Steps of Designing a Wrought Iron Fence
One advantage of building a wrought iron fence (besides the strength, durability, and beautify of iron) is the fact that you can have virtually any design you can imagine. Look at pre-existing designs for inspiration regarding the post and picket design and placement. You will also need to consider the height and elevation of your wrought iron fence. The only limitations are your budget and your imagination. Watch this video for a look at how to go about designing a wrought iron fence.
If you want help designing a beautiful wrought iron fence for your home, consult with a wrought iron fence contractor in San Jose . By working with a fencing company that specializes in iron fences, you will receive expert advice regarding your new custom wrought iron fence.
The Benefits of Wrought Iron Fencing
Wrought iron fencing can be used anywhere, from gardens and pools to commercial and even industrial settings. The historic and timeless presence of wrought iron fences makes them a popular choice all around the world. Besides instantly giving your home a highly decorative and ornamental look, wrought iron fencing is also incredibly durable and able to withstand the elements for many years. Iron fences provide exceptional security without hindering your view.
Wrought iron fencing should be installed by an experienced fence contractor in San Jose . These fences require precise installation in order to maintain their strength and durability over the years. You can also customize the design of your ornamental wrought iron fence by working with a fence contractor instead of buying pre-fabricated iron fencing.
Wrought Iron Fence Gate Patterns
One of the benefits of installing a wrought iron fence is that you can have your fence built to your specific needs. A custom wrought iron fence can help your home stand out and will add a lot of curb appeal to your property. When designing your iron fence patterns, keep in mind local building codes. If you are not familiar with the building codes in your area, your San Jose fence contractor can make sure that your design is acceptable.
Watch this video to see an example of what a custom iron fence looks like. If you want to make a statement with a new wrought iron fence, contact a fencing company in San Jose and begin the process of designing your new custom iron fence today.
An automatic gate not only adds value to your house, but it makes it more secure and enhances its curb appeal. If you are thinking of installing an automatic gate on your property, A-1 Fence, a premier San Jose fencing company , has a wide range of options for you to choose from.
A-1 Fence offers five primary types of gates: overhead, barrier, swing, slide, and Tigers Teeth. We have hydraulic and mechanical automatic gate openers that can swing open or close, or slide with a manual device or a wireless transmitter. We even have energy efficient, low voltage gate openers fitted with solar panels to ensure your gate can always open, even when the power is out. We also offer a range of automatic gate control devices, including telephone entry, transmitters, keypads, timers, intercoms, card readers, indoor push buttons, and emergency entry devices. Consult with the fence contractors at A-1 Fence Inc. today to see which type of automatic gate would be best for your fencing needs.
- Decorative Fences
- Chain Link Fences
- Fence Installation
- Iron Fences
- Automatic Gate
- Iron Gates
- Ornamental Iron Fences
- fence maintenance
- Stainless Steel
- privacy fence
- fence contractor
- wrought iron fence
- Metal Fence Manufacturing
- Fencing Consultant
- Residential Fencing Options
- Rusted Fence
- pet fence
- fence damage
- home fencing
- pool safety fence
- fence repair
- new fence
- privacy screen
- pool fence
- pool season
- curb appeal
- fence design
- home curb appeal
- tilted fence post